The MA in Russian, Eurasian, and East European Studies (REEES) is awarded through the Curriculum in Global Studies as a special concentration within the MA in Global Studies.
The REEES concentration offers students a broad, interdisciplinary understanding of the Russian, Eurasian, and East European area and its peoples while providing the opportunity for in-depth study of aspects of the geographical area that most interest them. The degree is designed to train professionals to handle the multidimensional tasks of modern global society in fields such as international trade, cultural exchange, nongovernmental organizations, foreign policy, government service, and the military.
Why UNC? We offer:
- A flexible program. Students train in language, history, the social sciences, and have opportunities for individualized study.
- Top-notch, accessible faculty. Students engage with more than 30 core and affiliate faculty on campus.
- An excellent placement record. Graduates realize rewarding, impressive careers in the military, security organizations, the State Department, international organizations, media, education, and the private sector.
- Professional preparation in the “Southern Part of Heaven.” The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill metro area is consistently ranked among the best places to live, work, and study.
Since its inception in 1999, approximately 85 students have completed the MA program, about two-thirds of whom currently hold jobs with the U.S. government.
Online admission to our program is administered through UNC’s Graduate School. While decisions are announced throughout the spring semester, the final application deadline for Fall 2016 admission is February 9, 2016.
- Foreign Languages and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship (deadline is January 29, 2016). Note: All U.S. citizens who wish to be considered for funding must apply for a FLAS Fellowship before January 24, 2016.
- University Merit Assistantship (deadline is December 15, 2015)
Additionally, some Research Assistantships or Teaching Assistantships opportunities may be available.
For more funding opportunities, click here.
CSEEES was recently featured in a “Why Carolina” video, publicizing the many languages offered at UNC. To see the video and the types of opportunities that CSEEES offers, please go here.